incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2011 16:16:38 GMT
On 11/24/11 4:52 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> --- On Thu, 11/24/11, Andre Fischer<af@a-w-f.de>  wrote:
>

>>> I think we cannot ship MPL source code either (not
>>> even download+patches). That includes rhino, saxon
>>> and nss/mozilla.
>>
>> Hm, as far as I understand this we can not ship MPL code in
>> the source release directly, but the downloading into
>> ext-sources during bootstrap were OK if triggered by
>> explicit user interaction, eg by passing a non-default
>> option to configure.
>>

> OK, I already read Ariel's link and apparently this has
> been approved by someone at legal.
>
> As I had understood it the idea is that we shouldn't
> be using patches as a workaround to do actual coding
> on top of copyleft components, so I guess if the
> components are not on by default that is OK. This
> is still not the best solution, especially for the
> nss code but we can live with it for now.

And we have tired to upstream our patches but often they are to specific
that they are not accepted or the version we use too old.

We provide both the sources and the patches we have made and that should
be ok from a license perspective.

We don't include them in our source releases and only use them only if
they are explicitly turned on by user. A future goal is to replace these
stuff when we have alternatives in place.

Juergen