incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2011 14:47:07 GMT
Hi,

On 24.11.2011 15:01, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hello Andre;
>
> --- On Thu, 11/24/11, Andre Fischer<af@a-w-f.de>  wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The last open item on the IP clearance wiki page is the
>> removal of the dictionary module from the AOO source
>> code.
>
> I think we cannot ship MPL source code either (not even
> download+patches). That includes rhino, saxon and
> nss/mozilla.

Hm, as far as I understand this we can not ship MPL code in the source
release directly, but the downloading into ext-sources during bootstrap
were OK if triggered by explicit user interaction, eg by passing a
non-default option to configure.

>>    In order to provide a developer build in the
>> near future that does not contain category-x licensed code
>> we need a short term solution.
>>
>> The central question is if we have to really remove the
>> dictionaries at all.  I did not see a definitive
>> answer, so to be on the safe side I assume that the
>> dictionary module should be removed.
>>
>> This leaves the question of a replacement.  One
>> relatively straight forward way seems to be to use the
>> extensions that can be found at http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/dictionaries.
>> Two ways of using these extensions come to (my) mind:
>>
>> A. Download the extension (assuming that the right locale
>> can be detected) automatically from the extension repository
>> during installation.
>>
>> B. As last step of the installation, pop up a web page
>> that, among other things, tells the user that there is a
>> dictionary extension that can be installed and what its
>> license is.
>>
>> Variant A has the better usability but may not be
>> acceptable from a legal view.
>>
>> Variant B would allow to display additional information and
>> could offer other (dictionary) extensions as well but would
>> require more work to be implemented.
>>
>> One problem with both variants is that
>> extensions.services.openoffice.org already seems to have
>> load problems.  When everybody who installs Apache
>> OpenOffice has to access this server then its load would
>> increase dramatically with a new release.
>>

>> Unless there are objections I will remove the dictionary
>> module now, to clear the way for a category-x free developer
>> build (or whatever its name should be).
>>

> I think we should keep the non copyleft dictionaries for
> reference. I think that leaves us with English, Russian,
> Croatian and I have an old italian version kindly donated
> by Gianluca to the MySpell "pseudo-project" @Apache-Extras.

I don't think that this is a good idea.  I think that it would be quite
confusing to the user when not all dictionaries come from the same source.

> You can go ahead and kill hunspell from the tree.

Why?

Regards,
Andre