incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianluca Turconi <pub...@letturefantastiche.com>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2011 13:55:21 GMT
Il 24/11/2011 14.28, Andre Fischer ha scritto:
> A. Download the extension (assuming that the right locale can be
> detected) automatically from the extension repository during installation.
>
> B. As last step of the installation, pop up a web page that, among other
> things, tells the user that there is a dictionary extension that can be
> installed and what its license is.

There would be a C option: let the user know that there is a linguistic
tools pack extension for his/her native language when the main AOO
binary is downloaded.

In this thread there already were some +1 votes for a solution like this:

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

where multiple download choices for the user's native language are
automatically proposed before downloading the application.

So, an Italian user, assuming his browser language is set to Italian,
would see:

1) download of Italian AOO main binary;
2) download of Italian linguistic tools.

while a Spanish user would see

1) download of Spanish AOO main binary;
2) download of Spanish linguistic tools.

and so on.

There may be an additional link, let's say "further linguistic tools"
that may direct the user to
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/dictionaries for other
wished linguistic tools.

It would limit bandwidth waste and overload for the extensions website
since we know that downloads are usually several times less than single
installations (i.e. 1 download = tens of installations).

Regards,

Gianluca
--
Lettura gratuita o acquisto di libri e racconti di fantascienza,
fantasy, horror, noir, narrativa fantastica e tradizionale: