incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for retirement of openoffice.org email forwarder
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2011 20:17:08 GMT
On 21/11/2011 Rob Weir wrote:
> Please note:  I don't want to discuss here the merits of shutting down
> or not shutting down such a forwarding service.  That discussion was
> made moot by an ASF Board decision against hosting such a
> general-access email forwarding service like the legacy OOo had.

OK, I've read it and I still believe it was probably a bad choice, but
we will have to respect it.

> We didn't create this problem, but we're the best ones
> to help reduce the pain of this shutdown.

Sure. And I would actually turn your proposal in something less
negative; say, I would add that people who believe that an e-mail
address is important for community building can become Apache OpenOffice
committers by meritocracy and obtain an @apache.org e-mail address (or
forwarder, or whatever it is).

> 4) Work with Infra@ on a custom bounce notification that would be sent
> page from step #3.  Coordinate this so it is ready on or before the
> forwarder shutdown date.

Here it will be important to avoid that someone receives a deluge of
notifications by some automated system that is still in place in the
complex OpenOffice.org infrastructure. So this has to be handled
carefully, but I'm in favor of an automated response.

Regards,
   Andrea.