incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [AOO 3.4 Test Plan Discussion]Overview
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2011 10:30:18 GMT
On 11/23/11 9:55 AM, eric b wrote:

> Le 23 nov. 11 à 08:58, xia zhao a écrit :
>
>> Hi all,
>>

> Hi,
>

>> I think it's time for use to discuss and detail AOO 3.4 test plan now.
>> Basically at current time I suggest:
>>
>> 1. Leverage OpenOffice users on General Usage test
>> 2. Focus on establishing automation mechanism. Start from Build
>> Verification Testing(BVT in short).
>

> Can you explain further please ?
>

>> 3. Focus on test infrastructure set up. Start from case management
>> tool. For 3.4, place the test cases on wiki and volunteer can do
>> general testing against. If volunteer couldn't write cases, may give
>> the test scope he would do. For example, which component etc. And then
>> report defects in Apache Bugzilla.
>> 4. Focus on Performance Verification Testing(PVT in short)
>> investigation, and setup benchmark PVT environment.
>> 5. Establish QA entry in AOO wiki https://cwiki.apache.org/
>> 6. Build private build before official build is ready
>

> Repeat builds over and over builds is always a good idea, like provide
> some of them for testing purpose, using Apache home, e.g.
>
> As example, using Raphael builds :
> http://people.apache.org/~rbircher/builds
>
> Is this what you mean with "private builds" ?
>

>> 7. Platform will be covered
>>

>> - Windows XP
>> - Win7 32bit/64bit
>

> Do we really (need to) provide 64 bits version on windows ?
>

>> - Where we only have a 32bit windows version, it should run against
>> 62bit windows version.
>> - Redhat 6 32 bit/64 bit
>> - Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit/64 bit
>> - Mac 10.7
>> - Mac 10.6.x
>

> Please keep Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5 compatibility as long as possible.
>

>> - FreeBSD 9.0/8.2 (9.0 is suppose to release at 12/07/2011?)
>> - OS2
>>
>> Welcome your comments.
>

> I think it's far too early.

i don't think so, we have a lot of things to do here to ensure the
quality. And it's better to start early than too late.

> The current step is :
>
> - IP clearance (not completed if I'm not wrong)
> - fix build issues and see what disasters caused the removing of
> important tools, like dmake and some other.

yes and every helping hand is very much appreciated. I would really like
to see more people working on this

> Next one will probably be :
>
> - consolidate the build (on every OS)
what do you mean here

> - optimize configure command line
again, can you explain what exactly do you mean

> - optimize build dependencies for every OS
> - find and welcome newcomers, and builders on every OS
should be an ongoing effort

> - start to see whether blockers exist (crashes, important features
> missing ...) or other big issues appeared since the 3.4.0rc
> - start with localized builds, see where we are ... and so on
>

> About QA, I'd better see start to investigate about the existing tests /
> unit tests, and improve.
>
> To be frank, my opinion is that if serious QA is done, this must be made
> as transparently as possible, by paid people from companies, but not
> volunteers.
i disagree here. If somebody has the knowledge and time to work on this
why not. Every helping hand is welcome and writing tests shouldn't be
rocket science if the framework is easy enough if we have people who are
willing to guide others.

> As volunteer, I remember I stopped to commit any cws and to contribute
> directly to OpenOffice.org, because of excessive, stupid and boring QA.
well that's your personal view that i can't share and that we hopefully
will not follow here.

> Anyway, I wish you as much of people to folllow you :-)

it would be more help if you would join the efforts because we all want
stable and good office suite. So QA is in the interest of all of us.

Juergen