incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <>
Subject Re:
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:19:51 GMT
On 11/20/2011 04:33 AM, Peter Junge wrote:
> Hi,
> is there any admin of around here?
> It's getting spamed with really disgusting content on the front page.
> Peter

The OOoForum is fully managed to Ed Buck. He has two low level
administrators of which I am one.

Ed appears to have good intention, but he is the only high level
administrator. I do not believe that he can give others this access
because then they would have access to the machine itself, which runs
other things for the company hosting the forum.

Ed has stated for more than a year that he would update the forum so
that spammers could be better prevented from accessing the forum. To
date, he has done nothing but make promises. The user services forum was
started because some community members desired a forum where
decentralized control was available so that the required manpower might
be available to keep things under control.

Presently, spammers seem to use OOoForum as they desire. This is
particularly difficult when a particular spammer opts to hit the site
with message after message. The moderators are not able to stop a rogue
poster, they can only react to the messages themselves. New means of
preventing the spammers are not available without updating the forum
software, so this is not likely to change.

The volume of spam has been so great that some moderators have left. I
rarely post to the forum any more because when I go to the forum I spend
my time removing spam and trying to lock out spammers based on user name
and specific IP address - which is a loosing battle.

Andrew Pitonyak
My Macro Document:

View raw message