incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: [Code] strategy for "child works spaces"
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 22:42:23 GMT
On 20.11.2011 02:38, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> For the specific situation of exploring CWS:gnumake4, I have some
> concrete advice: Don't try it.  The changes are extensive and the
> effort to catch all of the incompatibilities and repair them reaches
> into pretty much everywhere there is a *.mk file.

And that's exactly the reason why cws should be turned into diffs:
managing complexity by breaking up the changes into manageable chunks.
Each diff is a single commit in the cws and they can be applied to an
svn branch in consecutive order.

Converting a cws into single diffs is easy if no merge commits exist in
that cws (I've done that already for my already integrated cws
mba34issues01). It can be done with a simple shell script and the
built-in commands from Mercurial.

If cws contain merge commits (like gunmake4), the simplest approach
would be to do the same, but skip these naughty commits and redo the
merging in svn. Michael Stahl already successfully tried that for
gnumake4 and some other related cws. It's more work, but doable.

The alternative would be to do a diff of a complete cws against the
latest revision of the ooo340 code line in Mercurial and apply it to an
svn branch. That is much too complex and error-prone, IMHO.

Regards,
Mathias