incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: [Code] strategy for "child works spaces"
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 22:39:46 GMT
On 19.11.2011 19:02, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> --- On Sat, 11/19/11, Dennis E. Hamilton<dennis.hamilton@acm.org>  wrote:
>> This is not my area of expertise by
>> any means.
>>
>> And I have a concern that this is topic is being
>> over-simplified.  This description is to test my own
>> understanding of what it takes.
>>

> I have concern that things look a lot more complex when
> we discuss them too much, and eventually we will not
> try anything at all.
>
> Of course the key would be to merge such a tree frequently
> with trunk, specially the minute before the branch changes
> are planned to be merged up: at such a point the branch
> should be exactly what the new trunk will become and that
> would guarantee that there are no conflicts.

That's a good point and it's where OOo was wrong all the time, IMHO.
Some months ago I suggested to change OOo's code integration that way:
developers make sure that their branch (or in case of Mercurial: their
cws repo) is synchronized with the master so that integrating their cws
into the master will yield exactly the same sources as they have in
their cws. If time permits and the effort is justified, the updated cws
could have been built or even tested before it gets integrated, thus
reducing the chance of broken master builds. There are some challenges
for this mode, but what would life be without them? :-)

Regards,
Mathias