incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject Re: Microsoft Tools for Windows Builds
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 17:59:19 GMT
Hi Dennis,

On 21.11.2011 18:37, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Andre,
>
> I have my own interests in this kind of construction setup for Windows builds.  I offered
my snippets in case they are also useful in streamlining the Windows build case for Apache
OpenOffice.

> I only did a little proof of concept to confirm that the settings are conveyed into a
cygwin session properly.   There could always be a show-stopper later on.  Something I didn't
dig into was setting up the command-line parameters to the tools such that tool-understandable
paths (not cygwin ones?) are used.  I assume that already has a solution and the make processor
that is run under cygwin has no problem.

>   - Dennis
>
> MORE ARM-CHAIR ANALYSIS
>
> It seemed to me that the way cygwin is used to find the necessary dependencies among
the Microsoft development tools is fragile and, seemingly, too much black art.  I based that
on observation of some folks having difficulty with getting builds to work in various cases
(at LO and here).

> It seems easier, and better for those who just want to do builds for QA,

I am not sure how a QA build differs from a developer build (other then
in a debug flag maybe)

> to establish the tool-dependency connections before starting the build under cygwin at
all.

configure should basically do that, making sure that everything needed
for a build exists before starting the actual build.  If you or anybody
else finds a better way to detect the right MS tools than we should
adapt the automake/configure tool chain accordingly.  What we not should
do is to have two different detection routines that may lead to
different results.  Otherwise the first check may tell the user that
everything is OK and then configure complains about eg a missing compiler.

 > This can be by setting up and confirming the tool-required
environment variables and path settings first.  It is relatively easy to
do and the Microsoft tools already have scripts that help without any
registry dependencies required.  It should also be easier for an user to
trouble-shoot.

It would be great if the Windows tools detection could be improved.

> That way an user can choose which versions of the tools to use when many are installed
side-by-side on the same system and also know before starting a build process that the tools
are reachable.

Ah, are you talking about an interactive tool?  Which lists all sane
combinations of tools and when the user has made her choice, configure
is run with the selected values and prepares the build?
I would like that.

-Andre

PS: I am sorry about broken formatting of quotes.  My mail application
(Thunderbird) can not handle your long lines very well :-)