incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Roelofsen <p_roelof...@tele2.nl>
Subject RE: oooforum.org
Date Sun, 20 Nov 2011 20:48:52 GMT
The situation at oooforum.org is highly problematic. On the one hand it
still has a large collection of very valuable posts, I believe largely
in the Code snippets and Macros and API forums (the main reason why some
people still bother to fight a losing battle against the spammers). On
the other hand, spammers have free rein there, as moderators and active
admins don't have sufficient powers to stop a spammer dead in their
tracks. The only active admins at the moment are Andrew Pitonyak and
JohnV - and they can't decently ban a spammer, they can only delete
their account - so that they can make a new one with the same e-mail
address. Moderators (I'm one) can only delete posts and threads, and
lock, move and split threads, they can't stop a spammer.

In my view the best thing to do would be to have a script download all
topics that are worth saving,m and after that inform the modes and lower
admins to stop moderating the forum, so that the site admin, one Ed,
will after a while close the place.

floris v aka Peter Roelofsen