incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <>
Subject Re: connections to old update services now
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2011 18:08:31 GMT
Am 11/19/2011 06:46 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> Marcus--
> Hi. Thanks for the reply. I understand the service itself can not be
> rebuilt, and I also realize this is probably something hard-coded in the
> program. Since I don't know how it's referenced internally, I was just
> wondering if a "dummy" service could be setup that might just DO something,
> if only to alert the user that it is no longer in service.

Of course it could be tried. But it's not easy and finished "overnight".
And even when a rebuild would be successful, the result is just a
message like "No updates available". Not worth the effort.

Additionally ...

> This would entail the infrastructure folks on some level and setting up a
> "VM". SO, maybe too much overhead to deal with right now, I guess.

... OOo 3.3.0 was published in January, so since 10 months it's the same
result as the server/service wasn't really reachable good.

IMHO no need to do *now* anything. ;-)

> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Marcus (OOo)<>  wrote:
>> Am 11/19/2011 06:04 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
>>> Re message forwarded to me by a friend...
>>> *Could not establish Internet connection to
>>> **org<>
>>> *
>>> Any suggestions about what we can do about this????
>> When the server is now really gone because it was in the *.ss.oo.o domain,
>> then it's done. We cannot disable the function in the program. And IMHO
>> there is nobody available here who knows the details how this communication
>> is working and has time to rebuild it, incl. a new server or service.
>> For the next release (3.4) we should disable the function as it cannot be
>> reanimated until then. For anything later we should try to implement a real
>> update functionality; that means with little update chunks + download +
>> installation.
>> My 2 ct
>> Marcus

View raw message