incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: [Code] strategy for "child works spaces"
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2011 13:20:26 GMT
Am 18.11.2011 19:26, schrieb Pedro Giffuni:

> Hi Eric;
>
> --- On Fri, 11/18/11, eric b <eric.bachard@free.fr> wrote:
>
>> Disclaimer:  this list is not
>> easy to read, and if the topic was already discussed. In
>> this case, thanks in advance to provide me the right link
>> :-)
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I perfectly know the importance of the IP clearance, but in
>> parallel, we'll need to work on the code, say "partialy"
>> (e.g. vcl + sd + slideshow only). In OOo we used child work
>> spaces in that purpose, but I'm not sure we defined
>> something similar yet with Apache OpenOffice.org.
>>

> I personally don't understand well how those CWSs worked
> or how they are integrated. I would personally prefer if
> just use SVN branches exclusively from now on.
>
> I think OOo has not really used this historically, but in
> other projects developers have their own branches and can
> do work without disrupting the main tree.

We have used them. At that time they where a PITA as updating them from
the master or integrating them into it was very time consuming and
required a lot of manual merging work. That worked much better with
Mercurial, but that's not an option now, I know.

We probably might want to reserve work on branches for larger code
changes that require weeks or months, but integrate smaller changes
directly into the master in a CI style with daily builds.

Regards,
Mathias