incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Install configuration management
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 14:42:10 GMT
On 11/18/11 2:40 PM, Gianluca Turconi wrote:
> In data 18 novembre 2011 alle ore 13:53:02, Rob Weir
> <robweir@apache.org> ha scritto:
>
>> 1) Pre-install extensions, both open source ones but also custom,
>> in-house extensions

we can probably simplify the mechanism here. As far as in know LibO
discussed an approach to scan a specific directory for new extensions.

The same would be possible for templates.

>> 2) Install custom document templates per corporate standards
i think i have mentioned earlier that here is a lot of potential to
improve the user experience as well as the overall deployment options.

A customizable template and extension repository that can be changed to
a company internal repo to ensure that only approved extensions and
templates are used.

Both repos should be much better integrated. For example the extension
repos cn be browsed directly from the extension dialog and extensions
are installed directly form here. The same for templates, a new template
dialog would allow to browse the specified template repo, mark templates
as favorite, allow download of templates for offline usage etc.

But again both repos are configurable. Ideally this can be switched off
by an administrator to prevent misuse in a company deployment. For
private usage we should have a public extension and template repo.

>> 3) Modify configuration settings, such as for default file format, etc.
>> It is good to look at what Microsoft has done here with there Office

all configuration settings can be changed via an extensions that for
example is deployed as shared extension in a network installation.

We had a very cool feature i the past that have allowed to load user
specific configuration settings from an ldap directory. And we had a
configuration management console that have allowed to tweak these
settings per user, per team or user group etc. Very useful for bigger
deployments. But i don't know if this is still supported i the
configuration. Anyway the configuration console is not available and we
would have to reimplement it.

> It would be a good thing to have some comments from people who have
> already managed large OOo network installations and from devs that have
> deep knowledge of the OOo installation phase in order to see how much
> work and difficulties there are either for a network OOo installation or
> for a hypothetical change of the current OOo installation options.

as always a lot of work that have to done by somebody ;-)

Juergen