incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject Re: Draft IP Review Plan for OpenOffice
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 08:42:55 GMT
On 17.11.2011 21:30, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> I had thought that category X artifacts needed to accomplish a build would be excluded
from the release but identified as prerequisites for the build.  They would never be distributed
in the Apache OpenOffice release.  (I am becoming rapidly accustomed to using that name.)

> Some become downloaded by build procedures in order to be used, but they are never in
the release itself.  (Whether an ASF-hosted buildbot does such a thing is interesting but
tangential, I think.)

> There are some odd cases of abandonware having no authoritative location for downloading
and also having OpenOffice.org-applied patches.  I think dmake is one of those.  I have no
idea how that ends up but I think it means dmake disappears as a build prerequisite.

I am currently working on removing the dmake sources.  There is another
thread about this, but you can also have look at issue 118604 for the
techincal details.  The basic idea is to use a pre-installed dmake
executable by default.  However, the user can provide a URL for a
downloadable tar-ball, which then is downloaded and built in bootstrap.

-Andre

> Another case would be redistributables (e.g., a particular JRE version or Microsoft Visual
C++ redistributables) that may end up in a binary distribution.  This is a different situation,
even though there can also be build-time prerequisites (e.g., on a JDK or Visual C++) as well
as dependencies in the built binary distribution.