incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Taxhet <stx...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Non-Apache maintenance release for OOo 3.3?
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:14:59 GMT
Hi,

Am 17.11.2011 02:23, schrieb Rob Weir:
> This topic sounds important, so I'm moving it to its own thread.
OK, let's talk about a maintenance release first; but at some point we
could broaden the scope to releases of Apache OpenOffice too.

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Martin Hollmichel
> <martin.hollmichel@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> removal of the Oracle branding is the easy part. As said before, having a
>> joint messaging with ASF about this release and the future releases is some
>> work to do. Adopting references from old OpenOffice.org instances (forums,
>> mailing lists, issue tracking) to the new ones in the ReadMe File is another
>> issue we are still working on.
>>

> It is hard to think about a joint message when we know almost nothing
> about what you are doing.  What we're doing here at Apache is clear --
> you see our mailing lists, wiki, SVN repository, etc.  It is all very
> open and transparent.
>
> Do you have a mailing list or something that we can subscribe to?
> Could you say a little about what your short term and longer term
> goals are?

Martin and others mentioned that there is a need to show a sign of life
to OpenOffice.org users.
For us short term goals are to (re)gain confidence in OpenOffice.org
and support for the existing user base. We think this requires a release
rather soon; and we don't see a conflict but a complement with work
going on in the project here.

Long term we want to further sustainable development work. This will
result in a reliable product that is improved and delivered at regular
intervals. We see such a product as the basis for ongoing business.

We are comfortable about continuing the talk here on this list. I
would appreciate if we come to a picture that satisfies users, the
project and the participants.

Greetings
Stefan