incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Time for the ASF to send an Open Letter?
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2011 20:39:29 GMT
On 2011-11-16 3:26 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hi Martin;
>
> --- On Wed, 11/16/11, Martin Hollmichel wrote:
>> On 11/16/11 6:33 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>> On 16 November 2011 16:56, Martin Hollmichel
>>> <martin.hollmichel@googlemail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> What kind of a "release" are you talking about. OOo
>>> releases can only be made from the Apache Software
>>> Foundation. Perhaps you are planning a downstream
>>> release that conforms to our trademark policy.
>>>
>>> Please let us know your plans.
>> we're offering to provide an interim release of
>> OpenOffice.org 3.3.1 with a joint messaging of ASF and Team
>> OpenOffice.org. This would fill the gap between the 3.3.0
>> release from beginning of this year (with some known severe
>> issues) and the first AOO release in the future. I'm
>> convinced that this proceeding will help strengthen the
>> trust in OpenOffice.org / AOO.

Based on the very little bit of information provided here on the Apache
lists, I can't see how your plans would possibly be approved by the ASF.

Obviously, having more information about your plans, and being able to
see your work in the form of patches or commits to the AOO podling's
Subversion tree would be a great start to be able to do this kind of work.

So my first suggestion is to start doing some of the actual coding work
here, on the ooo-dev@ list.  Then, work with the podling to show the
PPMC that this is a good idea, and deserves to proceed together with the
excellent progress the PPMC is making on the 3.4 release.

Then, if the PPMC has a clear consensus to work with such an interim
release plan, we can discuss any trademark, legal, or press/messaging
questions you might have.

- Shane