incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Raphael Bircher <r.birc...@gmx.ch>
Subject Re: Anybody interested in TestTool? I wrote a Java lib to replace it.
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2011 07:21:52 GMT
Hi Liu

Am 16.11.11 03:29, schrieb Zhe Liu:

> Hi all,
>
> Vcl TestTool is used by GUI automated testing for OpenOffice.org, but it
> has many drawbacks. Too many errors, difficult to debug, maintain and
> execute parallelly. I found many people mentioned this problem. Libreoffice
> has abondoned the tool. But I think GUI automated testing still is
> valuable. It can test the product more like the actual users.
The problems with the VCLTestTool are well known. But to write a new one
is not trivial too. It needs a load of work to bring a new tool to the
productiv use. Well, we can maybe use the old testscripts as guide for
new testscripts. But the VCLTestTool as is works fine, and you can find
errors realy quick. Mainly not working dialoges, crashs and freese.
VCLTestTool is not so buggy as many people say. But yes, it needs
aditional work to bring it to a productive tool for the community.
> I has been working for long time on automated testing in Symphony project.
> I wrote a Java lib which can connect to the automation (automation module
> in source code) server in openoffice process and do GUI automated testing.
> The lib can be integrated with JUnit or other Java testing framework.
> Anybody interested in the lib? I can contribute it to community.
> Suggestion is welcome.
Yes, please contribut it. We can only compare your jave lib with the
VCLTestTool if we have the lib. It most not be finishd, but we can only
discouss her, if we see the things.

Well, I'm more interested in core development, but I'm willing to bring
my QA experience in to the community. So I'm still interested in
automated testing. And Yes, I also think that automated tests are
important in a project like Apache OpenOffice.org.
> PS, I am a newbie here. :-)
You are welcome

Greetings Raphael