incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [code] main/dmake
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2011 13:19:53 GMT
On 11/15/11 2:01 PM, Andre Fischer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Oliver is preparing for the ODF Plugfest in Gouda, therefore I take over
> the task of making dmake a system dependency. I have created issue
> 118604 for this.
>

>  From what I read so far we have the following prerequisites:
>
> - The dmake source code has to be removed from the Apache SVN repository.
>
> - The dmake source code is already present at at least two other places:
> at http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/dmake/ (thanks to
> Pedro), and at LibreOffice.
>
> - It may be possible to have Apache host the code on one of its servers
> (that is not the main SVN repository)
>
> - In the configure or bootstrap script we can download and compile dmake
> but can not do that automatically. The user has to specify this
> explicitly as an option to the configure script.

that is my understanding as well

> I propose the following way of how configure/bootstrap handle/provide a
> dmake executable:
>
> - Remove the dmake source code from OpenOffice.
>
> - By default configure handles dmake like gnu make, i.e. search for a
> pre-installed executable, detect its version, do some checks to verify
> that it can be used.
>
> - Introduce a --with-dmake-path=<path> option to configure(.in), that
> specifies where the pre-installed dmake can be found.
>
> - Introduce a --with-dmake-url=<URL> option to configure(.in) that tells
> the bootstrap script to download the sources and build them. Add a note
> to the description of the option that the source is GPL licensed. Maybe
> add the Google Code URL as suggestion to the description. When the code
> is hosted on an Apache server then we can add that, too.

that sounds like a good plan from my point of view. Making dmake a
prerequisite as the first choice should help us. Our main problem is
that nobody else (excepting other derivative work based on the former
OOo sources) uses dmake and we can't upstream our patches. With the new
Google code project it is possible for everybody to solve this new
prerequisite.

Juergen