incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "tj@apache.org" ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problem showing on main ASF page
Date Sun, 13 Nov 2011 22:11:19 GMT
Daniel,

On 11/13/2011 15:32, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Would have been useful if you noted the date/time you saw the site, the
> revision of ^/infrastructure/trunk/site at the time, or took
> a screenshot.  The site regenerates hourly.

You may assume from the date line on my email that the problem was
occurring then. Actually, the problem is still visible *now*. The
security item has moved off the bottom of the list, but the pied item is
still visible as the last item.

I have no idea how to find the revision level; I have no SVN fu.

Screenshots I can do. I will attach them (and a copy of the whole page)
for the benefit of the mbox developers. (If anybody else has a use for
them, just ask.) But they (and the subject line) are only part of the
problem.

> Anyway, the subject line contains a ™ character, which had gotten
> encoded, was not decoded by mod_mbox (aka mail-archives.apache.org the
> software behind), and the CMS stuff just took it literally.

Please note the garbled em-dashes in the announcement date line. I have
seen very similar garbles where mbox is not at all involved. I suggest
that there is another problem, elsewhere.

> I suggest you follow up with the mod_mbox developers
> (http://httpd.apache.org/mod_mbox/) about the mod_mbox bug.

Will do. (Well, will try.)

> I'll
> follow up with press@ to advise them not to use UTF-8 in subjects until
> the bug is fixed.
>
> Thanks for the report.

Welcome. It's very frustrating to still have the system programmer's eye
for things out of place, but not have the "hands" (tools and fu) to fix
them myself. --/tj/