incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Sun, 13 Nov 2011 17:39:34 GMT
Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> A rough analysis http://people.apache.org/~arielch/dictionaries.ods
> shows that more than half language packs didn't distribute the three DICT,
> HYPHEN and THES dics.

Thanks Ariel for the useful data. By crossing it with data from
http://download.services.openoffice.org/files/localized/
we can conclude that 96% of the localized full versions of
OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 come with at least a spell-checking dictionary for
their main language. So removing dictionaries does seem a scary option.

Note that full builds were only provided for languages that had attained
a satisfactory ( >80% ) percentage of interface translation. The other
languages relied on language packs only, but my concern is mostly for
users who download their localized version of OpenOffice.org as an
"all-in-one" package. The 96% figure above is 22/23, where the missing
one is the "cs_CZ" dictionary, the only case of a full build missing a
dictionary. And of course I am not able to evaluate the quality of
included dictionaries.

Regards,
   Andrea.