incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]+[VOTE] Trademark and Branding
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 16:28:44 GMT
On 2011-11-10 2:18 AM, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
...snip...

> i think it is important to know the possibilities later for a project name.
>
> If we vote for a) and later on the project name would be the same and
> the project Url would be openofficeorg.apache.org. Then i would say a
> bad choice.

Note: the URL to the official community homepage of the project on the
a.o site is not relevant at the moment, since there's no strict
requirement for the full brand name of the project to be identical to
the actual URL.

It would be fine to call it "Apache OpenOffice", and then have the
community homepage of the project be ooo.apache.org, for example.  The
URL only needs to be decided later, before the project graduates from
incubation.

...snip...
> So my question is where should the new product name be used all about?
> Only on the intro screen, in the help system, in all written docu where
> we use the product name. Or also as name for the install directory, menu
> entries etc.

The new project name should be the primary branding of the product as an
end user would see it on our websites.  I.e. it would be at the top of
the web page, displayed in the logo (perhaps, depending on the graphical
design), would say "Download FooBrandSoftware" in the links to the
download page, and would be part of the actual filename of the primary
download file that users would install from.

 From a branding perspective, the full product branding does not need to
be in the menubar, any directory or class or module names, nor similar
areas - unless the project wishes to use them there.  I really don't
think we need to worry about the details of the code and the bulk of the
UI yet; that is a larger discussion that can happen once we actually
pick a name.

> I never liked the .org but have conditioned my brain to use it over the
> past 14 years. Many people don't say OpenOffice.org but OpenOffice,
> means it is more often used when you reference the product somewhere in
> written form.

Personally, since the common usage is OpenOffice, I strongly prefer that
form, as in Apache OpenOffice.

- Shane