incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]+[VOTE] Trademark and Branding
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 10:18:49 GMT
On 11/10/11 6:12 AM, Donald Harbison wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM, Pedro Giffuni<pfg@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> Hello;
>>
>> An important question. The vote is for choosing the
>> product name, can the project name be different?
>>

> The vote is for the product name, if you wish to begin a [DISCUSSON] about
> the project name, is your choice. Be aware that we began the podling as
> described here: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/openofficeorg.html
>
> To make this clear: I would think it practical to
>> keep option (a) for the product, but option (b)
>> for the project.
>>

> Please cast your vote for the product only. That is the ballot.

i think it is important to know the possibilities later for a project name.

If we vote for a) and later on the project name would be the same and
the project Url would be openofficeorg.apache.org. Then i would say a
bad choice.

And thinking more about the visibility of the product name in various
places on a desktop. I would really like to keep OpenOffice.org as it
was in the past because of the well known brand awareness.

So my question is where should the new product name be used all about?
Only on the intro screen, in the help system, in all written docu where
we use the product name. Or also as name for the install directory, menu
entries etc.

I never liked the .org but have conditioned my brain to use it over the
past 14 years. Many people don't say OpenOffice.org but OpenOffice,
means it is more often used when you reference the product somewhere in
written form.

Juergen