incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Lars Aronsson <l...@aronsson.se>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Trademark and Brand
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 09:08:32 GMT
On 11/10/2011 04:47 AM, Donald Harbison wrote:
> As promised, here's the ballot. Choose one, cast your vote.  If none of
> them get more than 50% of the binding votes, we will start a ballot for the
> top two contenders.
>
> a) Apache OpenOffice.org
> b) Apache OpenOffice
> c) Apache Open Office
> d) Apache Office
>
> The ballot is open for a full 7 day week closing 12:00 p.m. EST ( UTC - 5 )
> on Wednesday, November 16, 2011.

The ".org" part of the name always felt awkward, but perhaps there
was some good reason? Has this been documented? Why did Sun
call it OpenOffice.org rather than just OpenOffice?

Looking into the project now from the Swedish horizon, it doesn't
matter much what you call this branch, since everybody from the
developer community seems to be over at LibreOffice. If you hope
to merge the two branches, both communities should have a say on
the name.

--
   Lars Aronsson (lars@aronsson.se)