incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Marcin Miłkowski <milek...@o2.pl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][WWW] Current Polish web site -- pl.openoffice.org
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 08:39:50 GMT
Hi,

W dniu 2011-11-10 05:37, Louis Suárez-Potts pisze:
> Hi,
>

> On 9 November 2011 18:06, Dave Fisher<dave2wave@comcast.net>  wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 9, 2011, at 2:19 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>
>>> As many of you may know, per Dave's announcement about a week or so ago, we
>>> have a staging site of *MOST* (we're still finding areas that need to be
>>> "re-pulled" for one reason or another), of the (old) current OO.o site at:
>>>
>>> http://ooo-site.apache.org
>>>
>>> Right now, I have a question about the existing "pl" (Polish) site at
>>>
>>> http://pl.openoffice.org/
>>>
>>> Does anyone on this list know anything about the history of the Polish site
>>> -- why this group decided to basically make a duplicate of the
>>> OpenOffice.org site but translated? None of the other N-L sites have gone
>>> to this length so I'm just curious about it.
>
> Yes, I know much about it. Its history is complicated and its
> communities even more so. But its current lead (of PL group working on
> OOo, if not entirely only on OOo itself) has simplified things.

It is not a duplicate, but anyway, the point of localized pages is that
they host content that is useful to users that do not speak English. If
you think that the OOo site was useful, then you might consider that
translating some parts of it might be somehow justified ;)

Anyway, it mostly contains pointers to other places, and some news
parts. There are lists of books and courses about OOo, and some
installation instructions that were relevant when the Polish dictionary
was not bundled with OOo.

>> Is it bigger than the German site?
>
> No.
>>

>>> Also, at this point in our migration plans, do we have anyone here who is
>>> willing to continue to maintain the "pl" site as it stands?
>
> I can ask the former lead; cc'd here. He is Marcin Milkowski.

I don't think anyone is interested in maintaining it anymore. The Polish
community moved to LibreOffice and they consider Apache project as a
fork. I didn't resign from the Polish lead position but as there's only
me left and I have no time for doing anything, the Polish project at OOo
is somewhat zombified.

Cheers,
Marcin