incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]+[VOTE] Trademark and Branding
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 06:26:31 GMT
On 2011-11-09 10:11 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hi Shane;
>
> OpenOffice.org is a brand the ASF owns now and I
> don't want it diluted. I have also heard the name
> is in some countries' legislation.

I'm not following your point here.  The project branding requirements
mean that both the product and project names must start with "Apache
...", so just "OpenOffice.org" is not an option as either name.

The existing trademark registration is not an issue (or, should not be,
in my opinion) in terms of choosing a name for the project going
forward.  I suggest that the PPMC needs to primarily think of what the
future branding will be.

In terms of "keeping" the existing registration, I would not worry about
that now.  My current thinking is that our keeping the domain name as a
site that still distributes the past OpenOffice.org builds will be more
than sufficient to defend that brand as long as will be pertinent for
this project.

- Shane