incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]+[VOTE] Trademark and Branding
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 05:57:31 GMT
On 2011-11-09 8:14 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hello;
>
> An important question. The vote is for choosing the
> product name, can the project name be different?
>
> To make this clear: I would think it practical to
> keep option (a) for the product, but option (b)
> for the project.

One question: why would that be desirable?  I.e. what is the benefit of
having a separate project name (i.e. the name of the website and the PMC
here) versus the product name (i.e. the actual downloadable releases in
the future)?

By way of comparison, all (I think) other Apache projects use the same
terminology for the project name and the product name.

I would expect that the product and project would use the same name
(whatever it is) unless there is a strong and clear consensus among the
PPMC to explicitly use different names.

- Shane