incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 18:10:27 GMT
On 11/8/11 10:06 AM, Gianluca Turconi wrote:
> Ariel Constenla-Haile ha scritto:
>> Of course, this could be made more user-friendly, prompting the user, on
>> application first run, if she or he wants to install a dictionary
>> extension for his language, etc.
> Well, this was my first suggestion about this topic... ;-)
>
> I'm just trying to find out what kind of consensus there is among the
> developers.
>
> If the simplest (legal) way is:
>
> 1) to keep all dictionaries in one place;
> 2) to ask users during first application run what dictionaries they want
> to install;
>
> then let's go that way.

any volunteers who actually want to work on this? I think it would be a
good solution for the moment and we can move forward. But somebody have
to work on it...

It would require some UI changes or better enhancements where we will
need translation. A further domain area where we can benefit from people
who are more experienced in this domain and which can help to setup a
working framework that we can use in the community.

In the longer term it might be worse to follow the direction MS (as Rob
pointed out) and potentially other systems will go in the future. A
system wide tooling including dictionaries that can be used of all
applications would be a really good move.

Juergen