incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Hunspell dictionaries are not just words lists (+ other matters)
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 23:29:32 GMT
On 2011-11-07 8:27 AM, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Hi Olivier,
>
> Thanks for bringing your experienced perspective to the list!
>
> On Nov 7, 2011, at 8:14 AM, Olivier R. wrote:
>
>> Le 07/11/2011 16:53, Rob Weir a écrit :
>>
>>> Why would Apache care about that?
>>
>> Maybe just because you are an Apache member and you make a strong statement on an
Apache list about FLOSS you are willing to bundle in your software.
>> I’d prefer an official statement about this point, if you don’t mind.
>
> Rob is not an Apache Member, neither am I. We are Apache Committers and on the Apache
OpenOffice.org (incubating) PPMC.

The list of Apache Members is here:
   http://www.apache.org/foundation/members.html

A very brief description of roles is here:
   http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles

> An official opinion is a reasonable request.

If the PPMC does have specific legal (or other) questions about Apache
policy, then the PPMC should take those specific questions or proposals
to legal-internal@ or the appropriate mailing list.  But you need to
have a specific question for some purpose for the project.  The ASF's
Foundation-level activities are designed to support it's projects in
their direct work in building software for the public good. Hypothetical
questions are unlikely to get official policy answers from VP, Legal or
other officers, so it's important to be specific.

- Shane