incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From André Schnabel <andre.schna...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Hunspell dictionaries are not just words lists (+ other matters)
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 17:53:03 GMT
Hi Rob,

Am 07.11.2011 16:51, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Andre Schnabel<Andre.Schnabel@gmx.net>  wrote:
>
> The jurisdiction of the creator only matters in the case of local
> infringement or in the context of international treaties.  And I don't
> believe any treaties have recognized sui generis IP rights for
> collections of facts, i.e., databases.  It has been discussed but
> there is no agreement.  See the WIPO statement on this:
>
> http://www.wipo.int/copyright/en/activities/databases.html

This is not a statement on IP rights for databases - it is a statement
on IP rights for
*Non-Original Databases* .

We obviously disagree on this part of the text:
" The originality requirement that a database must constitute an
intellectual creation
by reason of the selection or arrangement of its contents in order to
enjoy copyright
protection means that some databases are not protected ..."

So obviously some databases actually are protected. Of course - if you
think, that a
dictionary is just a mere collection of words you would obviously come
to the
conclusion that this is no intellectual creation.

btw ... if IBM does have dictionaries available, why don't you just
publish those, if
there is no copyright protection in place? Doing so would end this
discussion very
quickly andwould be a great contribution to the project.

regards,

André