incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Olivier R." <olivier.nore...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hunspell dictionaries are not just words lists (+ other matters)
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 12:58:08 GMT
Hello Rob,

Le 07/11/2011 12:51, Rob Weir a écrit :

> What you say above does not really make a legal difference.  What
> makes something copyright-able is creative expression. not hard work.
> You could spend decades collecting data on bird populations, measuring
> the positions of stars, recording the names of everyone in your town,
> etc., and this could all be very hard work.  But in the end what you
> have is just a set of facts.  It is not a creative work.

OK, I understand this point of view, but there is different ways to do
what I and others did. Creating a affixation file is not just collecting
informations. This is a way of structuring data and generating
inflexions. It could have been done in a very different way.
Even tagging, classifications, lemmatization and repartition of entries
can be a matter of choice, otherwise there would not have been people
trying to convince me to do it differently. It’s not a mathematical
matter there.
Obviously, part of the work is collecting data, but there is also,
mostly at first, a creation of the mind (even if I won’t pretend it’s a
piece of art).

But I won’t bother you for long on that topic, we are not at court
trying to defend our respective point of view. I’m sure you get my
point, even if you may not agree.

What I don’t understand is why you are saying you should respect the
copyright of something that is not copyright-able according to you. It
seems to me that’s defending a point of view and the opposite one. (I
wonder if we should blame you or thank you.)

Regards,
Olivier