incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject Re: [CODE] issue 118576: Crash on close
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 08:51:32 GMT
Hi,

I have news on this, but not good news.

The crash is not directly caused but triggered by the fix for issue
112786. That issue fixes the config manager singleton to actually
getting destroyed when the office closes.  Not destroying it is not nice
but, to my knowledge, causes not observable problems.

Now that the config manager is destroyed, it checks whether there are
still any registered config items. There should be none at this point
but in reality there is one when no application is started and about six
when for example the writer is started and closed immediately.

Not wanting to leave anything behind the config manager destroys the
lingering config items.  Because the office is already half down and the
infrastructure for destroying the config items is not in place anymore,
that causes the crash.

So, every remaining config item causes its own separate crash. Each has
to be fixed on its own. Some even cause secondary crashes when a config
items in its destructor tries to destroy the resources it still holds.

The root cause here is that the config items are registered but are not
unregistered.  Fixing this issue means finding the owner of the
offending config item and make it properly unregister and destroy the item.

Fixing this is a time consuming process.  I have one item fixed (see the
patch for issue 118576) and a second one in the making.  That means that
four are still open. As there are more important things to do right now,
like getting the conflicting IP stuff removed, I suggest to remove the
patch of issue 112786 and fix this properly at a later point in time.

Regards,
Andre