incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianluca Turconi <in...@letturefantastiche.com>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 08:15:22 GMT
Pedro Giffuni ha scritto:
> Copyleft imposes restrictions on software and when you
> try to impose your "freedoms" to other people, the result
> ends up being less free. We respect copyleft, but we want
> more.
Well, I understand your point.

I created a new dictionary from scratch because the author of the
original ispell Italian dictionary didn't want to change its license to
something compatible with OOo licenses.

However, I thought it was like reinventing the wheel and I feel in the
same way this time too.
> Being pragmatical I think for 3.4 we will ship with
> hunspell binaries of the available dictionaries, just
> like LibreOffice does. We still cannot ship the existing
> italian dictionary because of the GPL. It is not illegal
> to do it but ASF's policies apply here so someone outside
> the ASF will have to do it.
Well, it would be useful to know how the compiling and releasing
structure of the AOOo *binaries* will work, in order to know who may or
may not do that work.

Will the binaries be *official* or *contributed* by volunteers of an
external compiling farm?

Regards,

Gianluca

--
Lettura gratuita o acquisto di libri e racconti di fantascienza,
fantasy, horror, noir, narrativa fantastica e tradizionale: