incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Junge <peter.ju...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: [ISSUE] Shut-down of all name@ openoffice.org e-mail addresses
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 02:08:41 GMT
On 11/6/2011 10:01 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Peter Junge<peter.junge@gmx.org>  wrote:
>> On 11/05/2011 11:18 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

[...]

>>> We don't even need Oracle for this.  You can see which ID's are active
>>> in project work by doing reports in Bugzilla.  For example, there are
>>> fewer than 500 IDs that have submitted more than 1 defect report in
>>> the past year.  If we each agree to main 25 or so of these addresses,
>>> to let them know about the retirement of the email forwarders, we
>>> could notify them quickly.
>>
>> This is a totally wrong assumption. I haven't been filing an issue for ages,
>> nonetheless been fairly active from 2008 to 2010.
>>

> And you are active on the mailing list, so you know about the
> migration.  We're talking about how to reach out to those who might
> not be aware.  Grabbing the addresses from BZ is one way.  If you have
> an idea for other ways, feel free to suggest them.

One idea I have is to let the legacy OOo subscribers go through a
re-registration. That would require to send a bulk e-mail to all 500.000
existing accounts. Such e-mail would explain the situation and ending
with a request to follow a link, which includes an unique hash, like
it's used to reconfirm with all kind of subscriptions. At the landing
page of the link there would be a captcha, that interested people have
to input. As a result the vast majority of those who successfully make
it through would be real existing persons who are still interested in
OOo. IMHO this would also encourage many of the currently inactive old
OOo contributers to have a look what is going on with OOo at Apache. If
they have to take action anyway, they might go further.

/Peter