incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Willing help on Test
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2011 22:35:57 GMT
On 02/11/2011 Rob Weir wrote:
> I have no idea how QA was done before for OpenOffice.org, but it make
> sense that you have basic elements like: ...
> 2) Manual scripted tests.  This could be based on written test cases
> and test documents.  These tests require some expertise to
> design/write, but once the test cases are written they can be tested
> by a much larger set of volunteers.  Even power users could be helpful

The guess is mostly correct, but it misses the localization aspect. N-L
teams used to have coordinated, but independent, QA activites; and here
TCM was a great tool to have, since each team could assign a set of
tests (set "Writer-1", set "Writer-2", set "Calc-1" and so on) to
volunteers and make sure that important functionality was tested in all
languages.

This allowed to find localization bugs but also generic bugs, since
several teams were running the full testsuite and providing multiple
feedback.

The final version of OpenOffice.org was released when blocker bugs,
including those affecting only a specific localized version (like a
translation error that had broken styles management in Writer in the
Italian version) had been fixed.

Needless to say, localized testing is a great way to engage volunteers
from N-L communities.

Regards,
   Andrea.