incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: request
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 08:16:43 GMT
On 11/3/11 1:42 AM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2011, at 3:46 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:

>>> in

> I'll take this as a request to port the Polish NL project's site next. Not tonight but
in a few days there will be:

> http://ooo-site.apache.org/pl
>

>> There was a large effort to handle the redirector to the different NL. NL
>> are not translations of the homepage are different communities in itself.
>> Something that was governance with the NLC and other structures. NL like
>> ES, FR and JA are structurally different to the EN homepage.
>>
>> There was a whole body of work so that it was easy for people to locate
>> their NLC. Might be a good idea to see how much this change from the
>> ooo-site and the openofficeorg tree.
>
> I've found that each NL site has very much their own main page.
>
> ES is especially different.
>
> I don't have a favorite, each has a certain charm and style.
>
>>> % svn ls https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/site/publish/ | grep
>>> faq
>>> % curl -H "Accept-Language: ja" http://subversion.apache.org/faq
>
> If we were willing to have each page just be a translation.
>
> faq.en.html
> faq.html
> faq.ja.html
> faq.zh.html
>
> For the podling incubator/openofficeorg I like this pattern of url completion.
>
> The concern I have about other language versions within the podling site that they will
diverge. Someone will change the en version and won't be able to change the zh, ja, or de
versions. The maintainer of a version may move on.

> The existing NL sites are proof of this divergence. The DE site is very large and also
quite out of date. I think that community moved onto the wiki some time ago.

or the maintainer moved to LibreOffice. Anyway as i mentioned before i
would prefer to have translated pages with the same content only. It
makes things much easier.

Juergen