incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Report Builder extension (was Re: [proposal] development for the first AOO release)
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 14:52:05 GMT
Hi Pedro,

On 02.11.2011 15:18, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hi Oliver;
>
> What do you mean by "removal of the 3rd party components"?

- Removing the components and its references out of the repository.
- Adjusting the code which is using these components - e.g. switching
off the corresponding functions.

> I think the report builder should be moved to Apache-extras
> with three suggestions:
>
> - Attempt to contact the authors of the pentaho stuff,
> maybe they would like to have a say in it's future or
> even relicense it.
> -Wait until the headers are changed to AL2, before moving
> it out.
> - Rob has a SVN dump: maybe we can use it to preserve most
> of the early history of the stuff we move to Apache-extras.

I am not planning to remove the report builder extension.
I am planning to remove the 3rd party components which are used by the
report builder extension as they are licensed under LGPL.
This will have the effect that the report builder will not work anymore.
Thus, I have got in mind to disable its building without touching any
code of it.
Then our code base regarding the report builder extension will be clean
due to Apache's Third-Party Licensing Policy.

BTW, nothing is lost by this removal step - everything is still in the
repository. This certain documentation in a Bugzilla issue the stuff can
be recovered easily for future usage and adjustment.

Best regards, Oliver.