incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [ISSUE] Shut-down of all name@ openoffice.org e-mail addresses
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 12:04:30 GMT
I'll butt in with my (non-binding) suggestions.

On 11/2/2011 12:01 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> where I am confused is the focus on Mailing-List forwarding rather than E-mail
> forwarding.  I can't tell what the intended behaviors are.
>
> Let's get clear:
>
>   1. If someone posts to one of the old e-mail list addresses (e.g.,
> users@openoffice.org), what is intended to happen?  What is the observed
> behavior?  How does this extend to use
> of -subscribe, -unsubscribe, -help, -owner (or their OO.o counterparts), etc.
> ?

After the final migration, they all bounce.  By then we should have nice
friendly pages - easily searchable for - that tell past OpenOffice.org
product version users which relevant Apache list to use.  And we'll have
sent several "hey, this list is going away" notes to the old list.

>   2. (a) If someone sends an e-mail to an existing account/e-mail address
> (e.g., orcmid@openoffice.org), what is intended to happen?  What does the
> individual that it current forwards to get to know or do about it?  The person
> sending the e-mail?  If the forwarding bounces, what will happen?
>      (b) If the account is closed/deleted, what are the 2(a) answers.

After the final migration, if they're not a committer, they bounce.
Period.  We are not in the business of providing services to non-committers.

If they're a committer, then it's up to the PPMC to decide if 1) you
want to, and 2) you will support some software to make committer
forwarders @openoffice.org work somehow.

Apache projects use apache.org services to do their work.  I certainly
expect - as such a hugely accessed service - that web access to
openoffice.org will remain, along with a number of it's key subdomains.
  But we really need to start thinking like the new Apache project that
we're running, and not like some strange continuation of the past Oracle
project that is now... unsupported.

- Shane