incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Greetings from Betsy
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 08:21:17 GMT
On 11/1/11 3:48 AM, Jing BJCDL Bai wrote:

> Greetings! I just joined this group. I am Betsy Bai  - ID team lead for IBM
> Lotus Symphony since 2008.
>
> It is great to work with the experts in this community. My interested area
> is to create and maintain the editor help and other documentation that can
> bridge the gap between people and software, make the product more
> accessible to people.
>
> In ApacheOpenoffice community, I will be pleased to contribute to build the
> help infrastructure, process to create and maintain the documentation. The
> draft idea is to make the help more collaborative and interactive. WIKI
> help would be a good candidate which has been implemented already for Lotus
> Symphony help.

hi Betsy, welcome on board, it's great to see that more and more people
join the project.

> I have one questions to the experts:
>
> Where can I get the current documentation infrastructure, and the current
> status?
the help content is currently coming from xhp files that you can find in
the helpcontent2 module in the source. xhp files are xml files that can
be edited with the office (a special filter is required) and there
exists an extensions that can help to edit these files. It's a
collection of macros as far as i know that provides some useful tooling
to manage help-ids etc. But i am not expert here and i can't say where
to find this extension. but i will try to figure that out or hopefully
somebody else can help us. These help files are part of the final
binary, they will be indexed etc. and the integrated help system
provides the access during runtime. As i mentioned before i am no expert
here and don't know the details.

Documentation is handled differently. Many stuff can be find in the OOo
wiki (which is now migrated) to
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Page, see the
documentation area http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation

And there is a very active group of authors who work on new guides,
updates or enhancement of existing documentation. The communication took
place on the dev@documentation.openoffice.org mailing list and now here
on this list ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org. Maybe later we will create a
new documentation specific mailing list.

I hope that helps a little bit and please fell free to ask further
questions.

Juergen