incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From eric b <eric.bach...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [Code] strategy for "child works spaces"
Date Sun, 20 Nov 2011 11:52:59 GMT
Hi Christian,

Le 20 nov. 11 à 12:22, Christian Lohmaier a écrit :

> Hi Eric, *,
>
> On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 10:12 AM, eric b <eric.bachard@free.fr> wrote:
>> Le 19 nov. 11 à 22:55, Mathias Bauer a écrit :
>>> Am 19.11.2011 15:22, schrieb Pedro Giffuni:
>>
>>> I still prefer the conversion of a cws in single diffs, each one
>>> representing a single commit.
>>
>> Me too.  That's the most efficient way to integrate a cws.
>
> No, it is not.

I meant in Apache OpenOffice.org current source code we can checkout
using svn.

> A cws can be long lived, could have underwent multiple rebases with
> the current tree, so there are lots of commits that refer
> to a old version of the code and thus won't apply anymore.

My proposal was to adapt the full cws, who will very probably not
apply to the sources directly.

> Unless you want to do lots of detecitve work and redo all the
> merging work that the author of the cws did do already over the
> course of
> time, trying to apply a cws by its individual commits is a waste of
> time, not to mention that it is

Let's give an example : I download a full diff of one cws. patch --
dry-run -px  < the_diff

The result will give some fuzz + some failed. The idea is to
regenerate a new full diff, able to apply on the tree, as a set of
diffs.

> The version to apply a cws to a different version-control system is
> to create a diff agains the current milestone the cws is based on
> and try to apply that one. (feel free to create a diff for each
> module).

Good catch : the atomicity of the diffs is important, and yes, create
one diff per modules seems more accurate. In parallel, we should
maintain a log for any cws we integrated this way, of course.

> This will give way less conflicts and is much faster. You loose
> history,

Yes, we loose history and I'm not satisfied with that. Just wondering
whether we could keep the old full diff on the repo + add information
inside the new diff ?

>  that was your decision when converting the repo to begin with.

I'm not sure to understand. You meant a common decision ?

Regards,
Eric

--
qɔᴉɹə