incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [ISSUE] openoffice.org must have an MTA / MX
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 18:31:20 GMT
Joe is very busy, he is the individual who will implement the OOo MTA / MX.

I have learned that when he makes himself available it is time to ask questions. Asking questions
when he is busy requires patience and not too much repetition.

No matter which way the project chooses to go there are a couple of facts.

(1) openoffice.org MUST have an MTA and MX.

(2) Determining the Infrastructure requirements one way or another is necessity before we
can proceed.

(Choice one) If only a few addresses continue (like securityteam@oo.o) with the rest bouncing
with whatever message and link then Apache Infra can support it on the normal qmail/ezmlm
system. With or without preserving MLs as subscriber-less forwarders.

(Choice two) If many addresses are forwarded for any length of time then some variation of
choice two where the AOOo(i) PPMC must provide ongoing support for a non-highly available
mailing system on an Apache jail. This is true whether that is a dynamic system or a static
table.

Rob clearly likes choice one (w/very few forwarders) and Dennis likes choice two (in a very
elaborate version.)

Sorry, if mentioning MLs caused anyone's head to explode, but please try to find what you
can agree on rather than focus on the one element you dislike and drown out the important
positive message.

Regards,
Dave

On Nov 2, 2011, at 10:04 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> Yes, I'll take my badge off and put my pistol in the safe:
>>
>> Shane,
>>
>>  1 (below). Your response fits the consensus I am seeing develop.  Nothing fancy,
bounce them, but some kind of catcher is needed to send something intelligible back other
than no-such-address.

>>  2 (below). I think killing all myname@ openoffice.org apart with limited forwardings
for committers it would be a horrible blunder of Klingon caliber: "All but committers are
unworthy worms."  It should make great slashdot reading.  Not to mention the glee on the faces
of those in the Apache AOOo Waiting To Fail (WTF) fan club.

>> Please do not collapse this system with the use of Apache IDs and myID@ apache.org
addresses, even though there is a similarity in function.  This is more like what happens
when people register themselves to use the wiki or a forum or a mailing list, etc.  The complication
is that when folks registered on the OO.o site, they also got a forwardable e-mail address
that went with that ID.  And these ID/e-mail combinations are ubiquitous in the http:// *.openoffice.org
ecosystem.  It is a kind of a fledgling, limited-reach OpenID/single-sign-on system.

> I think the chances are near zero that Oracle will give us the
> forwarding email addresses for 500,000 legacy openoffice.org
> addresses.   I also think it is clear that we are wasting time
> discussing this, time that could be spent making an unambiguous
> notification to those that have these addresses, allowing them to make
> an orderly transition to another address.  I further think it would be
> an unmitigated disaster if the forwarding service got shut down with
> little or no advance notice, because we wasted time discussing a plan
> that we will never be able to execute on.
>
> You might have different priorities than I have, but I hope you see
> the logic in the above.  If we're not getting the authoritative
> forwarding tables for the email forwarding, then we're wasting time
> right now and we should immediately start working on a notification
> for users currently using that service.
>
> If that is true -- and I think it is -- then the single most important
> thing we should be doing right now is establishing whether or not
> Oracle would provide such forwarding tables.  I thought we asked
> before and the response was "No".  But obviously that did not
> penetrate to an equal degree in everyone's mind.
>
> Would you agree that establish that simple fact is the most important
> thing to do now?
>
> -Rob
>
>>  - Dennis
>>
>> I also have an addition to my list of where there are breakages with these e-mail
(not list) addresses: Some number of iCLAs have openoffice.org e-mail addresses as the e-mail
of record.  That won't interfere too badly with those who have already been established as
committers (at AOOo at least) but it is another bullet item for my original list.