incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <rabas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OO.o 3.3.1 Maintenance Release Consideration
Date Sat, 26 Nov 2011 15:39:02 GMT
On Nov 26, 2011, at 7:29 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:

> It's not at all obvious to me why one couldn't just take a LibreOffice release such as
3.4, created from the same source outside the Apache community, and apply the same logic

No official response has been given to this proposal. Any "logic" you
see is individual opinion on a discussion aimed at achieving
consensus.

> to it as is being applied to this 3.3.1 proposal. With the added bonus that no-one much
has to do any work apart from change the splash screen.

> S.
>
> [for the humour-impaired, while this is making a serious point, it is not a serious suggestion]

If TDF wishes to make a serious proposal they are welcome to do so.

> On 25 Nov 2011, at 23:56, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>
>> There are many details to figure out to have a maintenance release of OpenOffice.org
3.3.0.

>> This situation reminds me that here have been privately-produced and distributed
editions of OpenOffice.org.

>> The ones in my experience were produced by Novell.  They tracked *existing* OpenOffice.org
releases but were built by Novell with Novell features that were not in the corresponding
OpenOffice.org release.

>> The screenshots give some sense for how this was done:
>>
>> 1. There was a Novell download site for the distribution.  (Notice how the files
were identified).  The code differences had to be maintained in parallel and re-integrated
with an OO.o release for each corresponding Novell release.

>> 2. The splash screen on startup of the release identified a Novell edition.
>>
>> 3. The About box identified the Novell edition.
>>
>> In other respects it was *all* OpenOffice.org and neither Sun nor Novell, just OpenOffice.org.
 In particular, the support locations were OpenOffice.org, and registration was at OpenOffice.org.

>> It looks like what is thought of as OpenOffice.org branding did not appear, though
I haven't looked closely nor tracked down the last-ever Novell edition.

>> When I think of there being a Team OpenOffice.org edition 3.3.1, this comes to mind.
>>
>> I would expect the OpenOffice.org site to be the user-centered support location,
with the Apache OpenOffice bugzilla used for bug reports just as it continues to be used for
OpenOffice 3.x bug reports.  I would expect registration, if done at all, to be done the same
way as for continuing downloads and installs of OpenOffice 3.3.0, though there is a problem
with where that goes now.

>> If the Team OpenOffice.org contribution of a maintenance release goes forward, I
think there should be strong acknowledgment and a way for individuals to learn more at the
Team OO.o site.  But for it to be in the OpenOffice.org development line, it needs to operate
as if it was produced in the same manner and produced in the same way as 3.3.0 with adjustment
for the current realities.