incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: OOo Business...
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 21:22:26 GMT

On Nov 10, 2011, at 12:34 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

> Thanks, Rob, Dave. I would suggest that when queries come to us we a)
> point them to a flux page (a wiki, say) and ultimately to the
> lists/persons Dave mentions. The emphasis must be on the new context:
> Apache. As OOo gets rather a lot of these, I'd further suggest we
> consider doing what we did at OOo, and pretty much automate the
> *request* process, if not the *granting* one. (Example of request: I
> want to promote OpenOffice.org and put the logo on my site. Can I? or,
> I want to issue CDROMs and charge for media and labour and use the
> logo and trademark: Can I? Both these queries can be answered with
> boilerplate.)

There is a faq for the Apache guidelines [1]. It is a subpage.

Certainly go ahead and start a page in the Project Planning Wiki. [2]

I do think that the page will need to be on the podling website in markdown with mailto and
subject links.

Regards,
Dave

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Project+Planning

> On 10 November 2011 15:02, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 10, 2011, at 11:48 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>>
>>> I continue (naturally) to receive many requests from businesses (small
>>> and large) to use the trademarked "OpenOffice.org" logo. I generally
>>> pass on these, as there seemed, until very recently, a mystery on how
>>> to proceed. I'm still in need of enlightenment, and would appreciate
>>> some guidance.
>>>
>>> * I think it's pointless to endorse "OpenOffice.org" at this point.
>>> The probable name of its successor will be "Apache OpenOffice" or some
>>> variant thereof. And that new name will come into play very soon
>>> indeed. We will need to progressively inform all those using the old
>>> logo/name/trademark to switch over with new installation sets.
>>
>> It is not pointless. We plan to keep this registered trademark and domain regardless
of the product name.

> We *want* to have both OpenOffice.org and Apache OpenOffice (if that's
> what comes down)? That seems a little confusing, don't you think?
>
> Or do you mean to say, "We want to advocate and promote the use of
> "Apache OpenOffice" or whatever, while also silently holding on to the
> legacy name and trademark"?
>

>>> * I would therefore like to be able to respond to those requesting use
>>> of the trademark, etc., to wait a little bit, and then to return to
>>> us—preferably to a wiki or even better, an automated service, such as
>>> we used on OOo, for this. (The automated service allowed us to docket
>>> requests and act more expeditiously, while also giving room for more
>>> fully understanding the request. Otherwise, the requests were simply
>>> sent to a list I set up for this and which John, Florian, and I
>>> managed for several years, though it really seems like an eternity—and
>>> John was doing much of the work.)
>>
>> I may be wrong, but trademark requests need to go to the PPMC. Since these are private
matters - ooo-private@i.a.o. Requests will be evaluated and forwarded to trademarks@a.o for
approval. This is the current process which we've used in one or two cases.