incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <>
Subject Re: OO.o 3.3.1 Maintenance Release Consideration
Date Sat, 26 Nov 2011 12:29:22 GMT
It's not at all obvious to me why one couldn't just take a LibreOffice release such as 3.4,
created from the same source outside the Apache community, and apply the same logic to it
as is being applied to this 3.3.1 proposal. With the added bonus that no-one much has to do
any work apart from change the splash screen.

[for the humour-impaired, while this is making a serious point, it is not a serious suggestion]

On 25 Nov 2011, at 23:56, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> There are many details to figure out to have a maintenance release of
> This situation reminds me that here have been privately-produced and distributed editions
> The ones in my experience were produced by Novell.  They tracked *existing*
releases but were built by Novell with Novell features that were not in the corresponding release.
> The screenshots give some sense for how this was done:
> 1. There was a Novell download site for the distribution.  (Notice how the files were
identified).  The code differences had to be maintained in parallel and re-integrated with
an OO.o release for each corresponding Novell release.
> 2. The splash screen on startup of the release identified a Novell edition.
> 3. The About box identified the Novell edition.
> In other respects it was *all* and neither Sun nor Novell, just
 In particular, the support locations were, and registration was at
> It looks like what is thought of as branding did not appear, though I
haven't looked closely nor tracked down the last-ever Novell edition.
> When I think of there being a Team edition 3.3.1, this comes to mind.
> I would expect the site to be the user-centered support location, with
the Apache OpenOffice bugzilla used for bug reports just as it continues to be used for OpenOffice
3.x bug reports.  I would expect registration, if done at all, to be done the same way as
for continuing downloads and installs of OpenOffice 3.3.0, though there is a problem with
where that goes now.
> If the Team contribution of a maintenance release goes forward, I think
there should be strong acknowledgment and a way for individuals to learn more at the Team
OO.o site.  But for it to be in the development line, it needs to operate as
if it was produced in the same manner and produced in the same way as 3.3.0 with adjustment
for the current realities.

View raw message