incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Time for the ASF to send an Open Letter?
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 08:17:08 GMT
Martin,

On Nov 16, 2011, at 11:51 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2011, at 12:39 PM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
>
>> On 2011-11-16 3:26 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>>> Hi Martin;

>> Based on the very little bit of information provided here on the Apache lists, I
can't see how your plans would possibly be approved by the ASF.

>> Obviously, having more information about your plans, and being able to see your work
in the form of patches or commits to the AOO podling's Subversion tree would be a great start
to be able to do this kind of work.

>> So my first suggestion is to start doing some of the actual coding work here, on
the ooo-dev@ list.  Then, work with the podling to show the PPMC that this is a good idea,
and deserves to proceed together with the excellent progress the PPMC is making on the 3.4
release.

>> Then, if the PPMC has a clear consensus to work with such an interim release plan,
we can discuss any trademark, legal, or press/messaging questions you might have.

> What is difficult for me to understand is that both Stefan Taxhet and Martin Hollmichel
signed up as Initial Committers to the Apache project, but have never signed an iCLA. There
are many more than four people involved.

> The Team OpenOffice website must immediately acknowledge that OpenOffice.org is a registered
trademark of the Apache Software Foundation.

> The Team OpenOffice site must recognize the Apache project.
>
> I don't think a joint statement is appropriate without properly respectful actions beforehand.

The following text on the teamopenoffice.org site is still in place!

> Your donation counts: Save OpenOffice.org!
> The world needs a free, open source office software – but the genuine article is under
threat. We don’t want to let this happen!

Ridiculous! openoffice.org is the Apache project - the genuine article is not under threat.

It has been a month since:

http://www.itworld.com/it-managementstrategy/213997/apache-disavows-team-openofficeorg-ev

I really feel that the individuals on the project want to welcome Team OOo to the project,
I know I do.

It is my feeling that Team OOo should make a proposal to the AOOo PPMC about how they wish
to use the OpenOffice.org brand.

Regards,
Dave