incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: request
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 15:34:54 GMT

On Nov 3, 2011, at 4:28 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 4:59 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
> <ariel.constenla.haile@gmail.com> wrote:
NL

>> N-L Projects had Project Leads
>> http://projects.openoffice.org/native-lang.html
>>
>> You can read some rules in http://native-lang.openoffice.org/
>>
>> Basically, N-L Projects were managed by Project Leads.
>> IMO fortunately in The Apache Way there is no place for Project Leads
>> anymore.
>>

> We are a single project.  But someone can still volunteer to "take the
> lead" on something.  So Dave Fisher took the lead in getting the OOo
> website moved over to Apache.  We all acknowledge his enthusiasm and
> skill in this area, the generosity of his time. No one appointed him
> "Webmaster" or "Lead" for that effort.  But he is the de facto lead
> for that effort because he demonstrated leadership and volunteered to
> lead that effort.  But next week it could be someone else doing the
> same task.  It is very fluid.

Thanks for this. I've documented the process both in the svn archive and on the website. I
am very willing to share. Changes are welcome.

For the website I'll give others credit for starting to move the NL projects:

- Raphael Bircher did the DE port from kenai and provided the svn address for Kenai.
- Marcus worked in the DE site and with Downloads.
- Kay is the one who did most of the initial migrations of the NL sites. There was trouble
and I am filling from behind.
- Alexandro has made a couple of tweaks to the ES site.

I hope I haven't forgotten anyone.

> I think OOo was more vertical and hierarchical in how the project was
> structured, with formal roles and leads that defined domains of
> exclusive control.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Most
> corporations are like that.  Apache projects are more horizontal.
> There are no predefined roles.  But we naturally have different
> interests and skills and our efforts naturally sort themselves
> according to those preferences.  And these interests might change over
> time.  But there are no formal appointed leads.  It is more about
> coordination than control.

Whether or not we continue NL sites when the switchover occurs is a decision for the project.

Whether or not translations occur in each NL site or as translations of key pages in www &
the rest depends on whether or not there are individuals who are committed to doing and maintaining
the translations - or the NL sites.

The experience of migrating the NL sites is leading me towards the translation approach.

OTH - Communities have built sites and they have an interest in the results.

If we decide to change to a translation approach it will still be good to have the existing
OOo in a tag in the ooo-site tree. That way it can be recovered.

> That's my view of how it works.  Others may be a different view of
> this.  That is expected.  No one has exclusive control over saying
> what the Apache Way means.

My purpose is to enable the community. If I overstep then pull my leash (gently please)

Best Regards,
Dave