incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [WWW][Policy] Participate! - Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 19:40:54 GMT

On Nov 18, 2011, at 9:48 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

>>> area that needs attention is rewriting contributing.openoffice.org to fit
>>> ASF and AOO policies. (Policies may need to be written and discussed.)

>>> from the fifth button - "I want to participate in OpenOffice.org"

>>> rewrite. Any committer can do this work.

>>> "contributing". Within that directory there should be an index.mdtext and
>>> as many subpages as required. Once completed, I can do an svn copy or move
>>> to the ooo-site tree.
>>>>

>>> Before actually doing the work, let me propose a radical
>>> simplification.  AOO is organizationally flat, so we don't have all
>>> the destination sub-projects of the legacy OOo website.
>>>
>>> 1) The "I want to participate" link on the main page goes to a single
>>> new page.  No need to be at contribute.openoffice.org.  In fact, I
>>> think I'd avoid that since to participate != to contribute.
>>>

>> Rob--
>>
>> I'm not following you here. It's true that of course we are not going to
>> follow the former "project" hierarchy (lucky for use the "Projects" tab is
>> now gone on the setup site) that existed within OpenOffice.org, but I'm not
>> understanding what you’re trying to say about the existing "participate "
>> link on the home page that transfers to  contributing.html.
>>
>> In the legacy OOo sense, the "participate" link jumped to a "contribute"
>> page, contribute.html,  which listed a few ways to contribute/participate,
>> so in this sense, I think it meant the same thing (?).
>>
>> I think you are making a distinction between participating and contributing
>> (?) based on ???? actual participation -- coding, etc -- vs monetary
>> contributions?
>>

> In English, participate means to take part in.  Contribute means to
> give something (including money, time, resources, etc.) for a
> charitable purpose.  So anyone who participates in the project is also
> contributing to the project via their time..  But not everyone who
> contributes is also participating.  For example, if you just donate
> via Paypal, then you are contributing, but not participating.

The site says "Participate" this what the pages describe and what the rewrite should be.

The subdomain and OOo / Collabnet / Kenai project is contributing. contributing.openoffice.org
can have a permanent redirection wherever we decide. We can reduce all links to the old site
to the index of the new Participate Page(s).

The c.oo.o site currently has the following categories.

Programming
Marketing
Quality Assurance
Graphics and Art
Writing
Helping Users
User Experience
Monetary Donations
Language Communities

I think most of the categories should be kept.

There is also a guideline. This should be replaced with an introduction to the Apache Way.
There should be concrete examples of how users can find a ways to participate in the project
within each category.

Programming
	ooo-dev, svn, builds, ...
Marketing
	ooo-marketing, ...
Quality Assurance
	Bugzilla, ...
Graphics and Art
	Logos, icons, fonts, skins, ...
Writing
	Apache CMS, ODFAuthors, api docs, ...
Helping Users
	ooo-users, Forums
User Experience
	?
Monetary Donations
	ASF donations and sponsorship links.
Language Communities
	Language Packs, N-L communities, what to do to add support for a language to AOO.
	NL Mailing lists, NL Forums.
Apache Software Foundation
	The Apache Way, Project Governance, ...

The more I think about this the more I think these are podling pages.

Regards,
Dave