incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Rationalizing two OpenOffice websites
Date Sun, 27 Nov 2011 22:58:19 GMT

On Nov 27, 2011, at 2:41 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> On 24/11/2011 Dave Fisher wrote:
>> Yes and I would avoid doing anymore N-L projects.
>> Since Khirano is willing to do a translation of the
>> new main site. If Pedro and the other Italians and MArcus
>> and the other Germans. Plus Alexandro and the Spanish are in
>> Consensus to do translations of the new main (Am I missing
>> any other "active" N-L projects?) then I am for removing all
>> N-L now.
>
> No, please don't! First of all let me congratulate with you for solving most remaining
bugs with the Italian site import, that the last time I checked had no major display issues
on the Apache infrastructure.

Thanks :-)

> Coming to the removal of N-L sites, we do have content that is specific: for example,
I've just published a link on http://it.openoffice.org to a new guide, in Italian, about how
to use the DataPilot/Pivot Tables; this was provided by an Italian public institution and
its natural place would be on the Italian N-L site rather than somewhere on the wiki.

Congratulations on your shiny, new committer powers!

> So, even though an update (even a major update) of the Italian site and of some other
N-L sites is acceptable and, I'd say, badly needed, I would still keep the possibility for
the N-L sites to provide content that is language-specific and not a translation of content
from the English site.

Thanks for responding. Where we have no one here from a N-L we will take the approach of archiving
the N-L site.

Where there is someone from a N-L project involved I much prefer to leave it their expert
hands. I think that the idea of archiving the true legacy makes sense.

We'll need to all come together to make sure the N-L approach will work and that it provides
a good process for other N-L sites as volunteers appear.

Best Regards,
Dave