incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] easier access for N-L sites during staging process
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2011 00:43:09 GMT

On Nov 3, 2011, at 4:37 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> ++++++1
>
> A little tuning, for what it is worth:
>
> It is not necessary to subscribe to any of these lists in order to ask for help.  They
will be moderated in.

> It might be nice if the mailto: entry specified a subject that would let us know it is
from the request link though.  That would emphasize that the requester is probably not subscribed
and a direct CC: on any response is called for.

> Also, ooo-users might be a better target than ooo-dev.
>
> And, if within-site relative URLs are used for some cross-references, they will work
when the cut-over happens as if they were always links to http:// *.openoffice.org URLs.
That way it is never necessary to expose ooo-site.apache.org addresses.  (Cross references
to the podling site are different, of course and they will hopefully all be redirected on
graduation.)

+1. I generally take care of adjusting to relative urls.

I've been using "/de/" for example, or "stylesheets/styles.css" depending.

There the start of some scripts in ooo/ooo-site/trunk/tools/:

urlrewrite.sh
urlrewrite.sed

These should be switched to a version of:

committers/tools/fix_files.pl

> At some point, it should be fixed so http://ooo-site.apache.org redirects to http://openoffice.org
(even though the pages are actually created at you-know-where, that can be made to work without
looping [;<).

No, not that way. The only maneuver for www.openoffice.org is to change the IP address. Joe
already has the httpd configuration of ooo-site.apache.org with an alias of www.openoffice.org.

>  It can also be arranged that http://ooo-site.apache.org/es/ is served up as http://es.openoffice.org,
etc.

That is the tricky part. Redirects/rewrites are a potential issue for the subdomains:  foo.openoffice.org/bar
to www.openoffice.org/foo/bar.

I'm hoping for face time next week to work out the best strategy for this.

Regards,
Dave