incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <ariel.constenla.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Report Builder extension (was Re: [proposal] development for the first AOO release)
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 11:17:38 GMT
Hello Alexander,

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:53:12AM +0100, Alexander Thurgood wrote:
> Le 09/11/11 17:19, Pedro Giffuni a écrit :
>
> Hi Pedro,
>
> > My attempt to contact Pentaho concerning this extension
> > produced no result. I consider this extension orphaned
> > and I think it should be moved elsewhere out.
>

> This is most unfortunate. Without a report building module of some kind,
> all the database segment of users will change from OOo to something
> else. Of course, there is still the built-in reportdesign module that
> could be enhanced, but it is relatively unloved and I don't think
> anything much has happened to it since the Pentaho integration into the
> OOo source tree.

the reportbuilder won't be built nor released by AOOo, but anyone can
take the sources and build it (for example, it would be useful to take
the sources and make a Netbeans project out of it).
This extension is not really extension in the real sense of the term
(extending OOo without touching any line of source code), it depends on
the core functionality introduced in the reportdesign module.
AOOo is not removing reportdesign nor reportbuilder.

The main issue is not the source code (on the software grant from
Oracle, so no issue at all), nor the 3rd parties libraries (the code
that relies on them can be built as an extension by anyone who wants),
but the lack of man power with the knowledge to maintain and further
develop it.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile