incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Eike Rathke <...@erack.de>
Subject Re: Ohloh
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 00:45:57 GMT
Hi Michael,

On Sunday, 2011-10-30 21:12:58 +0100, Michael Stahl wrote:

> > As most of them were tracked as commits from our former release
> > engineers and so are misleading anyway, perhaps its not such a big loss. :-)
>
> indeed, because of the CVS and SVN approach to merge tracking authorship
> was not properly recorded for the most part of OOo history, so the loss is
> not big.
>
> but still, apparently Eike disagrees with that; it would have been nice to
> ask first before making this change.

I don't care much, Ohloh's statistics aren't worth a penny and as you
said Ohloh itself fouled up at times by not having been able to track
CVS or SVN branches and thus omitted more than 10000 of just my own
commits.. commits of developers not release engineers were recorded only
after the move to Mercurial again.

I just found it strange to discover that history has been rewritten.

> at least the historic data is still available at the LO project, the
> history there still begins with Heiner's initial CVS import:
> https://www.ohloh.net/p/libreoffice/
>
> the change seems especially pointless since there already was an Apache
> OOo project at Ohloh:  https://www.ohloh.net/p/apacheoffice/

Which is why I didn't understand the move.

> it seems to me that there is some kind of counting error at the new
> OpenOffice.org project: a comparison with AOOo shows that it counts every
> commit twice.

Seems to be fixed.

> also, another deficiency of most SCM systems that makes Ohloh statistics
> unreliable is that they only track the committer, but not the author of a
> commit, which is not necessarily the same person (git gets this right).

The odds are 50/50 that also Ohloh gets that right for git..

> hmm, now Ohloh claims that i am the #1 contributor to OpenOffice.org, how
> ridiculous is that...

We're superseded by pfg now ;-)

  Eike